In 1899, Packard was
James Ward Packard, his brother
William, and their partner, George
Lewis Weiss, in Warren, Ohio.
A mechanical engineer, James Packard
believed they could build a better
horseless carriage than the Winton cars
owned by Weiss. Packard's first car was
built in Warren, Ohio, in November, 1899.
In 1900, the Ohio
was founded to produce Packard
automobiles and in 1902 the name was
changed to the Packard Motor Car
Company with James Packard
In the beginning, all Packards had a
single-cylinder engine until 1903.
Packard vehicles featured innovations,
including the modern steering wheel and,
years later, the first production 12-cylinder
engine, adapted from developing the
Liberty L-12, and air-conditioning in a
Packard produced its "Twin Six"
model series of 12-cylinder cars from
1915 to 1923.
In 1903, Packard
constructed a modern
automobile manufacturing plant in Detroit.
Packard produced luxury automobiles not
only for the American market, but also for
foreign markets. By the 1920s,
Packard was exporting more cars than
any other make in the luxury class.
While the high-volume Oldsmobile Runabout
went for $650, the Packard concentrated on
cars with prices starting at $2,600.
The company developed a following among
wealthy purchasers both in the United States
and abroad, competing with European
marques like Rolls-Royce and Mercedes Benz.
By 1935, the Great
Packard to introduce its first lower priced car,
the Packard 120. Sales tripled in 1935 and
then doubled again in 1936. The 120 model was
built in an entirely separate factory.
Like all automobile
Packard ceased the car production
during World War II.
In late 1945, the company resumed production
with the Clipper. Like other cars of this era,
the 1946 and 1947 models were essentially the
same as the 1941 models. In the post-war era,
Packard decided to emphasize the higher
volume lower priced models instead of the more
During the first half of the
the Packard was one of America’s premier
The first Packard automobiles were produced
in 1899, and the last true Packard in 1956,
when they built the Packard Predictor,
their last concept car.
Packard bought Studebaker in 1953
Studebaker-Packard Corporation of
South Bend, Indiana. The final Packards were
actually badge engineered 1958
Studebaker was founded
South Bend, Indiana, and
incorporated in 1868 under the name of
the Studebaker Brothers Manufacturing
Company, the company was originally a
producer of wagons for farmers, miners,
and the military.
The Studebaker began when
and Clement opened the H & C Studebaker
blacksmith shop in South Bend, Indiana,
Their wagons became known for quality
Business began slowly, with
being only two wagons built and sold
the first year; the first carriage followed
in 1857. By 1858, brother John Mohler
joined and invested in the firm, which was
filling wagon orders for the U.S. Army.
Studebaker continued to supply wagons to the
Army throughout the Civil War, exposing their
product to the Nation.
The company grew quickly.
1867 was 6,000 vehicles, and by
1885 topped 75,000.
Sales by 1887 surpassed $2 million.
Studebaker had become one of the world's
largest manufacturers of horse drawn
vehicles in the world.
This success was not without hardship.
Major fires occurred at the factory in
1872 and 1874 with the 1872 fire nearly
wiping out the firm, and the 1874 fire
destroying two-thirds of the factory.
Along with its wagons,
were highly prized, and counted
U.S. presidents among their passengers,
including Abraham Lincoln,
who was transported to Ford's Theater
the night he was assassinated
in a Studebaker carriage.
was the only top ranked carriage builder
to actually manufacture both automobiles
and wagons from 1902 to 1920.
The company introduced an electric car in
1902 and a gasoline powered vehicle in 1904.
Studebaker entered the
in 1902 with electric vehicles
and in 1904 with gasoline vehicles,
all sold under the name Studebaker
The first gasoline automobiles to be fully
manufactured by Studebaker were
marketed in August 1912.
Over the next 50 years, the company
established a reputation for good
quality and reliability.
Studebaker closed its South
plant in 1963.
Car production continued at the
Ontario, Canada, plant until its closure
in March 1966, ending a 114 year history
of Studebaker vehicles.