In 1909, the name
Hudson came from
Joseph L. Hudson, a Detroit department
store entrepreneur and founder of Hudson's
department store, who provided the
necessary capital and gave permission
for the company to be named after him.
A total of eight Detroit businessmen
formed the company.
The Hudson Motor Car Company
Hudson and other brand automobiles in
Detroit, Michigan, from 1909 to 1954.
In 1954, Hudson merged
Corporation to form American Motors (AMC).
The Hudson name was continued through
the 1957 model year, after which it was
One of the organizers of the
Roy D. Chapin Sr., a young executive who
had worked with Ransom E. Olds.
(Oldsmobile) Chapin's son, Roy Jr., would
later be president of Hudson-Nash descendant
American Motors Corp. in the 1960s.
As the role of women increased
purchase decisions, automakers began
to hire female designers.
Hudson, wanting a female perspective
on automotive design, hired Elizabeth
Ann Thatcher, who later became
Betty Thatcher Oros, in 1939.
A graduate of the Cleveland School of Arts
(now Cleveland Institute of Art)
with a major in Industrial Design,
she became one of America's
first female automotive designers.
Her contributions to the 1941 Hudson
included exterior trim with side lighting,
interior instrument panel, interiors and
interior trim fabrics.
She designed for Hudson from 1939
leaving the company when she married
Joe Oros, then a designer for Cadillac.
He later became head of the design
team at Ford that created the Mustang.
In 1954, Hudson merged with Nash-Kelvinator
Corporation to become American Motors.
The Hudson factory, located in Detroit, Michigan,
was converted to military contract
production at the end of the model year,
and the remaining three years of Hudson
production took place in Kenosha, Wis.
The last Hudson rolled off the Kenosha
assembly line on June 25, 1957.
There were no ceremonies, because at
that point there was still hope of continuing
the Hudson and Nash names into the 1958
model year on the Rambler chassis as
deluxe, longer-wheelbase senior
In 1928, the DeSoto
make was founded by
Walter Chrysler, and introduced it for the
1929 model year.
It was named after the Spanish explorer
Hernando de Soto.
The DeSoto logo featured a stylized image
of the explorer who led the first European
expedition deep into the territory
of the modern-day United States, and was the
first documented European to have crossed
the Mississippi River.
DeSoto or De Soto is an
automobile marque that
was manufactured and marketed
by the DeSoto Division of the
Chrysler Corporation from 1928 to
the 1961 model year.
Chrysler wanted to enter the brand in
competition with its competitors Oldsmobile,
Buick, Mercury, Studebaker, Hudson, and Willys,
in the mid-price class. DeSoto served as a
lower priced version of Chrysler products,
with Dodge and Plymouth added to the
Chrysler family in 1928.
Shortly after the DeSoto was introduced,
Chrysler completed its purchase of the
Dodge Brothers, giving the company two
mid-priced makes. Initially, the two-make
strategy was relatively successful,
with DeSoto priced below